The SEAMEO Congress 2021 for Education, Science and Culture in Southeast Asia, hosted by Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) together with the Ministry of Education of Thailand brings together diverse education actors and stakeholders representing the governments of SEAMEO Member Countries as well as public and private educational institutions and agencies. The SEAMEO Congress 2021 serves a platform for the policymakers, teachers, researchers, and educators to exchange the effective policy, fruitful teaching experience and share new learning paradigms and practices in the digital age. The education disruptions due to the COVID-19 pandemic has ushered in the golden age of distance learning and flexible learning options forced by unprecedented school closures and lockdowns among all member countries. Exchanging the perspectives on the global and current issues affecting Southeast Asian Countries is the best platform to learn and build regional consensus on how Education, Science and Culture transformation can effectively contribute towards the promotion of human development at the community, country and at the regional level.
The SEAMEO Congress 2021 has three primary aims:
- to provide a platform for conversations on innovations, breakthroughs and best practices in Education, Science and Culture to achieve SDG4 2030;
- to examine sustainable development platforms, networking and strategic collaboration among education actors and stakeholders in Southeast Asia and beyond for enhancing the quality of learning and ensuring wider access and relevance of education in the region; and
- to build a consensus reflecting and concretising transformative educational programmes and action plans towards the development of a dynamic synergy of strengths, strategies and standards leading to the application of more inclusive and innovative learning paradigms and education policies to meet global standards.
- At the end of the congress, it is expected that a regional plan of action for transformative education pillars will be defined through extensive conversations and discussions among partners, co-organizers, resource persons, experts and participants.
- SEAMEO Congress 2021 will support a common understanding of how Member Countries can cope with the fast-changing environment within the region, crafting common pathways to achieve and improve the quality of learning for the alpha generation that responds to the global needs and wider access to education, with no one left behind as envisioned under UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- It is also expected that the regional plan of action from the Congress will contribute to the new decade of SEAMEO Strategic Plan (2021-2030) for the advancement of inclusive and equitable education and preparing for the future highly skilled workforce and lifelong learners for all by harnessing technology to improve learning outcomes that will adequately prepare the teachers and learners to thrive in the future of Digital Era and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
We are expecting more than 15,000 participants from Southeast Asian Countries and beyond including policy makers, educational leaders, teachers, researchers, educators from the eleven (11) SEAMEO Member Countries, administrators and educators from government organisations, public and private educational institutions, agencies and departments as well as moderators and invited speakers outside Southeast Asian Countries are expected to virtually join the SEAMEO Congress 2021.
There will be two types of invited speakers: honorable speakers and selected paper presenters. The honorable speakers are the ones who are invited by Ministry of Education, Thailand and SEAMEO.The paper presenters are the ones who are invited to present through selection of their submitted abstracts.